Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Super Popular Mom n' Pop Diner/Deli...Joe's Deli, of course!

I again apologize, but I had another trial that took all of my strength, energy, and attention.  I am not exaggerating when I say all my strength and energy.  I ended up with a horrendous sinus infection a week and a half before the trial.  Preparing for the trial that week was misery to say the least.  So, one day before work, I stopped at one of the best Delis/Diners in Cleveland...Joe's Deli on the corner of Wooster and Hilliard.

19215 Hilliard Blvd., Rocky River, OH

Why did I stop at a diner before work when I was so sick that I was barely able to pull myself out of bed and dress myself?  Because of the healing powers of Joe's Deli's matzo ball soup and giant chocolate chip cookies.

I was introduced to Joe's Deli by a police officer friend of mine.  (On an aside, I was introduced to some of my favorite places by police officers.  They eat out all the time while working.  They know where to go and where to avoid.  Ask a police officer for a suggestion, you might be pleasantly surprised.)  The restaurant  looks old and a little dated.  However, there were people waiting everywhere for a table.  We waited about 30 minutes before sitting.  The waiting area is right in front of a display case that houses  the most delicious deserts you have ever seen.


I ordered the latkes and corned beef.  The potato pancakes were large and the corned beef was moist, delicious, and lean.  I took over half home which I used the next morning as corned beef hash.  Yum.  There is almost always a wait to sit at Joe's.  Everyone eats there, the young and the old.  Now, my husband and I always order the corned beef sandwich and a quart of the matzo ball soup to go.  The food is always ready on time.

Back to my horrendous day.  I walked into Joe's Deli looking like death warmed over.  I ordered a quart of the matzo ball soup and the chocolate chip cookie.  Here's my breakfast/lunch at my desk.  Remember, that is a quart of soup.  The cookie is larger than it appears. =)  It is crispy and buttery with the right amount of chocolate chips.  I ate the entire thing and I was able to make it through the day.


I have eaten other things from Joe's: sandwiches, other soups, salads.  However, I am a creature of habit.  Once I found my trifecta: corned beef, matzo ball soup, and the chocolate chip cookie, I refuse to deviate from these comfort foods.  Every person I have told about Joe's Deli complains about the wait, but absolutely loves the food.  Fortunately, the owners Joe and Jeanette are building a new building on the other side of the parking lot which will accommodate more people at once.  I, and many others, are so very happy that they decided to remain open for business while construction occurs.  There may be less parking, but there's more than enough delicious home cooking to go around.  Check it out, you will not be sorry.

1 comment:

  1. We're headed to Cleveland this weekend...maybe we'll check this place out! Of course, we must hit Otani first!

    ReplyDelete