Friday, January 20, 2012

The Original Asian's Otani Japanese Restaurant




Several years ago I gave up sushi.  I loved sushi...until that ill-fated day (emphasis on the "ill") when I had lunch at a popular, trendy sushi joint in downtown Cleveland.  I took my left over salmon Philadelphia cream cheese rolls with me to the office.  I ate them two hours later.  By 8 p.m. that evening, I had never been so sick in all my life.  This is coming from someone who partied pretty hard at good old UD and spent her share sleeping on the bathroom floor after nights of debauchery.  No more, sushi.  No more.  I swore off the stuff for good.

Except if you have a good friend that owns and operates a Japanese restaurant that also serves delicious sushi.  I actually tried to avoid sushi even as The Original Asian and I would have dinner at Otani's.  Finally, one day The Original Asian made me try a new sushi concoction.  I was scared.  My palms were sweaty and my breathing was shallow.  The thought of exactly 24 hours of barfness was at the forefront of my mind.  But, The Original Asian is not just any acquaintance or so-so friend.  As much pain and grief as I cause him, he is one of my favorite people on this planet and I would do just about anything for him.  (Side Note: I will absolutely deny this to his face and tell him that obviously he cannot read because why would a bad Mo' Fo' such as myself ever admit that I care about someone other than Dudo.  That pretty much sums up our friendship over the last 17 years...  Really?  We have been torturing each other on and off for about 17 years???)  But...he also knows that if I do not like something or it sucks, I will tell it to his face.  Criticism comes in many forms and ours usually comes as a stinging slap to the face and then the slapper buys the slappee a beer.

The Original Asian making sushi. All rights reserved JMB.
Low and behold, the sushi was fantastic.  The fish was fresh and light.  I could taste the other flavor components without it being masked by sauce.  Once again, I am a sushi lover.  But, I will only eat sushi at Otani's because I know it will be fresh.

Otani Japanese Restaurant is located at 1625 Golden Gate Plaza in Mayfield Heights. http://www.otanicleveland.com/%20 One side of the restaurant is hibachi with the cooktop tables and the chefs who cook your food right at the table with a show of flaming onion towers.  You can also sit at the restaurant side with regular tables and a sushi bar.  I opt for the sushi bar side even if I order the hibachi.  I also had my birthday dinner there last year with my family.  Not only do we get attentive service, but we all find something we like on the menu.  My sister-in-law and I like the sushi.  My dad and The Husband like hibachi.  Everyone likes the beer and wine selections.  It's the only place where we can all try Asian beers that we would never seek out and purchase otherwise.  I also use The Original Asian's catering company for parties, such as my brother's wedding shower and Dudo's baptism.  The food is affordable and not only is it excellent, but everyone raves about the food afterwards.  They cannot believe that even though The Original Asian owns a Japanese Restaurant, the catered food is Italian, American, etc.  You ask for it, Chef Yee can make it. I am a nut about the food that I serve at my parties and I have been known to miss my own party just to make sure the food is right.  Using the catering company, I have an excellent party that everyone talks about without having to lift a finger in the food department.

Now sometimes people ask me about my friend, where I like to get sushi, or about one of The Original Asian's sushi or cocktail classes.  So when the topic shifts to Otani's, I thoroughly enjoy people telling me that they already frequent Otani's or that they went for a special occasion and loved it.  It makes me smile when almost all those people tell me how The Original Asian did something to make their dinner even better.  The former intern Jackie Stripes still raves about his interaction with The Original Asian at Otani's even though it happened 6 years ago, well before Stripes and I ever met.  The Original Asian makes you feel welcomed and part of the family when you dine at Otani.


Heinz and I at Otani's Halloween party 2009.  All rights reserved JMB.
Now the Original Asian does have a name, it is Heinz Yee.  You can find his website and blog here: http://www.chefheinzyee.com/index.html  I check it from time to time to see what is in his head or what is ticking him off that day.  If you have a hankering for fresh sushi and a good time, I urge you to make the visit to Otani's.  There is a second location that was just renovated and expanded in Hudson, 180 Streetsboro St., Unit 11.  Hey, you might even catch up with me having some sushi and a Sapporo.

3 comments:

  1. awesome. thanks!

    O.A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course he is one of your "favorite people." He's one my family's favorites too, except when he gets the "Captain" stoooopid drunk. But don't tell him I said that either, Amy has way too much stuff to put up with. Oh yeah, the newer better bigger Hudson Otanis is fantastic! Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A person necessarily help to make significantly posts I would state. This is the very first time I frequented your website page and to this point? I surprised with the research you made to make this actual submit amazing. Wonderful activity!
    Bird-X Stainless Bird Spikes, 24-Feet

    ReplyDelete