Thursday, July 11, 2013

What could bring me back??? Some darn good southern cooking at Stonetown

It's been a while...it's been a long while since I last posted.  Life has been quite hectic being pregnant, dealing with crazy weather/house issues, having a baby, dealing with postpartum anxiety and then depression, all the while still trying to work.  Life has been demanding and something had to give.  Several things did give and this blog was one of them.  But, I am now in a better place so I am back.  So...what would be my first post back?  The Cleveland Zoo?  The second half of my West Side Market post?  Nope.

Today, a co-worker and I went to a place on Prospect and about East 6th Street area called Stonetown.  It is affiliated with Angie's Soul Food Cafe.  You might remember that I really dig their food truck.  Anyway, we made the hike over there and sat down.  I was thirsty so I ordered a water.  My co-worker ordered an ice tea.  Very important to remember a southern/soul food restaurant will serve sweet tea, not brewed unsweetened tea.  They serve their drinks in 32oz mason jars.  I wish my water would have come in one of those, but they quickly brought me a bottle to refill my water which was great.  I hate waiting for water refills on a hot day.

The menu looked awesome and I saw several items that I wanted to try.  My co-worker decided on the red fish tacos that come with a side of sweet potato fries and a side of collard greens.  Initially, I was going to order the tacos as well, but then opted for the Yard Bird, Red Velvet waffles, and Grits.  I was a little worried that it would be a gooey, overly sweet mess, but I did run this morning so I thought, what the heck.  Oh my, my that was some delicious food!  I ate all of it!  There was not one thing of my plate that was average; it was all excellent.  I picked at the bare fried chicken wing bones looking for a morsel more of meat to eat.  I hate to admit this, but I actually contemplated ordering more fried chicken.  Two fried chicken wings was not enough.  It was heavenly.  Oh and the grits!  Smooth, buttery with some salt.  It was some of the best grits I have ever had.  No joke.  The two small round Red Velvet waffles were great.  They were not too sweet and they came dry so I could put on as little or as much syrup or butter as I wanted.  It was a delicious end of the meal dessert.

Banner






Photo from Stonetown's website because I really did not want
 to use a picture of my chicken bones and bare plate.

Best part?  The prices are ridiculously awesome (at least for lunch).  My meal was $6.95.  I will definitely be going back.  I will definitely be having more fried chicken.  I am probably going to dream about this meal tonight.

Stonetown is located at 627 Prospect Ave.  http://www.stonetownusa.com/  Reservations for dinner is highly suggested.

No comments:

Post a Comment