Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Do Something Good Today

So recently I visited another city in Ohio and I was taken aback by how mean people where.  No one held the door.  A person bumped into me and said nothing.  I stopped a woman who dropped a $20 bill and she did not even say thank you.  When I asked about this phenomena, I was told that it was a part of town where people are rather wealthy and they feel entitled.  Somehow that is supposed to translate to, I don't have to be nice to my neighbor.

On the last day of this trip, I realized how much I take Clevelanders for granted.  At the beginning of the Cleveland Indians season, new manager Terry Francona gave an interview where he stated that he was surprised at how nice people were in Cleveland.  It finally dawned on me while I was in the state's capital...oh, I know I just let it slip...that Clevelanders really are a caring bunch.

Whenever I am leaving a store or restaurant, people rush a few steps to hold the door.  I have had strangers make googly faces at my children when they are crying in the grocery store instead of huffing that they have to listen to them.  People generally tip well, ok, I don't really know this, but people in my inner circle tip well because that is what we do.

Today marks 12 years since September 11th 2001.  More than previous years, today feels like there is a shroud hanging over us.  Initially I was looking forward to keeping my head down and wishing the day away so the shroud would be gone tomorrow.  I saw a police officer in the middle of the street directing traffic.  Then it dawned on me that I saw several police officers in intersections that I normally do not see.  Security is definitely beefed up today.  It's also 92 degrees at lunch.  I decided to do something nice for a bunch of people...anonymously though.  It took the rest of lunch.  To see the relief and joy on people's faces makes me happy and proud.  One of my mantras is do to others as you would want.  Hmm...what would make my day if I was standing in the extreme heat?  I am a Clevelander who helps make this place one of the nicest cities.  I know of friends who are doing the same as well.  Brit bought a homeless man lunch.  Another fed meters that were about to expire.  Yes, law enforcement friends, I know it's not technically legal, but wouldn't you want someone to put an extra dime in the meter for you instead of getting a $150 ticket?

Join me.  In honor of those who lost their lives, do something good for someone else today.  Offer a hand, a smile, a word of encouragement, drop off food to a struggling family, pass out water to hot workers, pet a dog.  It does not have to be a permanent commitment.  Do one good thing today.

No comments:

Post a Comment